Last Updated 20/10/19
Slater and Gordon Limited and its controlled entities (collectively “Slater and Gordon”, “the Company”, “we”, “us”) is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information
obtained in fulfilling its duties to the court, its clients, employees and shareholders and through the achievement of its strategy and objectives. As a trusted legal advisor, employer and incorporated legal practice we take privacy and security of your personal information very seriously.
complies with the Australian Privacy Principles (“APP”) to which it is bound, as set out within the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) ("Privacy Act").
This Policy covers the following areas:
• Collection of personal information (including sensitive information)
• Use of personal information
• Security of personal information
• Storage of personal Information outside of Australia
• Disclosure of personal information
• Web site, Marketing and Applications Privacy
• Access to personal Information
• Our Privacy team contacts
• Effect of Policy
This Policy applies to all of the directors, officers and employees of Slater and Gordon.
Please read this policy carefully and contact us if you have any questions. Our contact details are included below.
Slater and Gordon collects and holds personal information from various sources in the ordinary course of fulfilling our duties to the court, our clients, employees and shareholders and
through the achievement of its strategy and objectives. This includes collecting and holding personal information pertaining to:
• Clients and potential clients who contact us
• suppliers and consultants
• employees and applicants for employment
“Personal Information” is defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) as information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
The main types of personal information we collect may include:
• Names and contact details including phone numbers, postal and/or residential addresses and email addresses;
• Information that can identify you, including date of birth or residence status; drivers licence number, passport details, marital status and photographs;
• any facts or opinions that are connected to an enquiry that we are conducting on behalf of a client or potential client to effectively provide legal services; and
• any other personal information that is provided through a website belonging to Slater and Gordon or as otherwise requested by us or provided by you.
In some cases, you might need to give us personal information about other people – such as when you have an authorised representative. In those situations, we’re relying on you to
tell those people that you’re giving us their details, and to let them know about this Policy. In addition, if you provide us with third party personal information then you warrant to us that
you have the third party’s consent to do this.
With your permission, sometimes we may also need to collect sensitive information. Sensitive information is a subset of personal information that is given a higher level of protection
under the Australian Privacy Principles. Sensitive information includes personal information about an individual's:
• health (including predictive genetic information)
• racial or ethnic origin
• political opinions
• membership of a political association, professional or trade association or trade union
• religious beliefs or affiliations
• philosophical beliefs
• sexual orientation or practices
• criminal record
• biometric information that is to be used for certain purposes
• biometric templates.
LIME Medicolegal © 2019